I have cancelled my Holiday

If you need to cancel your holiday due to ill health, contact your Insurance Company, who will provide the appropriate form.

Bring the form to surgery and give to a Receptionist to forward to a GP to complete, or post to your usual Doctor with a clear explanation of your circumstances.

You need to allow five working days for this to be completed and there is a charge for this service as this is non-NHS work.

The form will be available once payment is received.