Prescription Charges

Please ask at the Pharmacy regarding current prescription costs. Some items may incur more than one charge. Prescriptions are free for people who meet one of the following criteria:

  • Under 16 years
  • 16,17,18 and in full time education
  • Over 60 years
  • Has a maternity exemption certificate
  • Has a medical exemption certificate
  • Has a pre-payment certificate
  • Has a War Pension exemption certificate
  • Has a HC2 or HC3 certificate
  • Gets income support or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Gets income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Has a Tax Credit exemption certificate
  • Has a partner who gets Pension Credit guarantee credit

Contraceptives are also free of charge.

Prescription Prepayment Certificates (PPCs) currently cost £30.25 for 3 months or £108.10 for 12 months and cover all prescriptions received during the time they are valid. For more information and how to purchase a PPC please click here.

Patients who are not eligible for free prescriptions but have a low income can apply for a HC2 or HC3 certificate. This includes all students aged 19 years and above.

To apply please ask for a HC1 form in our Pharmacy or get the form online here: Download and print HC1 form (PDF: 452KB). You can also order an HC1 form online.  It will be posted to you.

If you need help
If you need any help making your claim, please call 0300 330 1343.
Find out about call charges

Where to send your HC1

NHS Low Income Scheme
NHS Business Services Authority
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 6SN 

You will need to use a stamp.

Renew your certificate

If you already have an HC2 or HC3 certificate through the NHS Low Income Scheme and would like to renew it, you will still need to complete a new HC1 form.

For more information about Low Income scheme please follow this link.

If you think you are eligible for free prescriptions but have not yet applied for or received the relevant certificate you will be asked to pay for your prescription. We can provide you with an NHS receipt so you can claim your money back when you have your certificate.